Beetroot (Beta vulgaris) has been the subject of a variety of scientific studies over the years, where a range of different compounds within the plant were examined. In this article we shall focus on the health and exercise benefits which the supplementation of beetroot can provide.
Besides being a great source of iron, magnesium and potassium, beetroot also contains antioxidants and nitrate, the main compound which has been associated with improving exercise performance. Dietary nitrate can be found in a range of vegetables including spinach, arugula, and of course beet root.
Nitrate is converted in the body into nitric oxide, which is a potent regulator of blood pressure and vasodilation, or the expansion of blood vessels. This means that the ingestion of beetroot supplements has been associated with lower blood pressure, as well as an increased maximum oxygen uptake (VO2max) during exercise, thus improving athletic performance.
In one study, a group of people who consumed a beetroot drink before a bout of cycling showed an increased ability to extract energy from oxygen, performing the same amount of work as the control group, but with a 19% reduction of oxygen consumption, resulting in a more prolonged time until exhaustion and a clear improvement in exercise performance over the control group.
In a meta-analysis of sixteen different trials, researchers concluded that nitrate consumption through beetroot juice supplementation was associated with a significant reduction in systolic blood pressure and an improvement of vascular function. The studies which the researchers considered for inclusion were conducted on subjects with a diverse range of ages and backgrounds, creating a clearer overall picture as to the benefits of beetroot powder supplements.
In summary, if you are looking for a delicious, zesty addition to smoothies, muesli, dips and baked goods, as well as enjoying the exercise performance and health benefits provided by 100% Organic Beetroot Powder, you can try it for yourself by visiting our web store here.
Wishing you all the very best & Happy Health,
- The Mecatl Team
Mecatl Cacao makes no therapeutic use claims. Therapeutic is defined by the Australian Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) as:
1. preventing, diagnosing, curing or alleviating a disease, ailment, defect or injury in persons or animals; or
2. influencing, inhibiting or modifying a physiological process in persons or animals; or
3. testing the susceptibility of persons or animals to a disease or ailment; or
4. influencing, controlling or preventing conception in persons; or
5. testing for pregnancy in persons; or
6. the replacement or modification of parts of the anatomy in persons or animals.
1. Dietary nitrate supplementation reduces the O2 cost of low-intensity exercise and enhances tolerance to high-intensity exercise in humans
2. Acute and chronic effects of dietary nitrate supplementation on blood pressure and the physiological responses to moderate-intensity and incremental exercise
3. Beetroot juice and exercise: pharmacodynamic and dose-response relationships